Skip to main content

My Thoughts on "Catscratch"

Originally written 29 January 2017

Catscratch
Nickelodeon
9 July 2005-10 February 2008

Since "Camp Lazlo" (7-8-05) and "Catscratch" (7-9-05) premiered on night apart, I'd thought I'd post each review on the same day.

Lala Lala La-La-La, Catscratch!

Now that someday is today, let's discuss Nickelodeon's mid-'00s animated show, "Catscratch." Even though it's from what Nick might call their "Dark Ages" (times they wish to forget, one of the few shows that have not had a full DVD release or official release on streaming platforms), this show is quite excellent. Here are some reasons.

If you were to have a single glance at the 3 main characters, would you believe they were cats? They may not look like cats but who cares? Sure the show had anthropomorphic cats but you have to see what they do. They take care of their deceased "kitty mommy"'s property and the adventures are quite interesting. Some of the things they did was go into space, challenge their neighbors, meet the Kracken, and attempt to win a popular video game. This show carried a certain beauty that was much different than any other Nicktoon of the time.

Seeing this show reminds me of how my mind remembers how a 90s Kids WB show would be presented. Perhaps it's because creator Doug TenNaple created the "Earthworm Jim" show for Kids WB. The music's nice, too. I like the combined use of real and electronic instruments used in the incidental music. The way the music was executed gave the show that Kids WB feel. On the note of Kids WB shows, 2 of the voice actors, Rob Paulsen (Gordon Quid) and Maurice LaMarche (Hovis the Butler)...OMG! It's Pinky (Paulsen) and the Brain (LaMarche)! Mind...BLOWN! Though this was a Nick show, it introduced all sorts of Kids WB elements to Nick viewers. This difference from other Nicktoons may explain the show's short run.

Also, we have Pleakly (Waffle-Kevin McDonald) and Mertle (Human Kimberly-Lilliana Mumy (sequal and onward)) from Lilo and Stitch.

They quitely promoted "Catscratch" toys in McDonalds Happy Meals circa 2007.  They apparently were out of them so I got a "planet killer" (Hummer) toy instead 😨 .

Catscratch is an intelligently written and made show. It has goofy humor that makes you ask, "What's going on?" but it's something you want to find out. I feel this very misunderstood show needs a 2nd season but it's too late now. Not after 10 years. So give this show a chance. It might become one of the best Nicktoons ever made in your book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Danny Phantom fans, guess what!

I'm sorry for the lack of updates these past few days. My computer keeps acting up and i've been busy with stuff. Well, anyway, in the Butch Hartman forum, Butch says that Nickelodeon has renewed Danny Phantom for a 3rd season. Spread the word, everyone!!! And there are also new episodes coming this June. I can't wait. I hope they don't stink because i've been liking the show since it came out on April 3, 2004. If I like one, i'll review it when I get the chance. Let's now come back to the subject of updating. I'll probably do more post this summer if there's things to be discussed. I hope you all have a great summer and enjoy the new "Danny Phantom"s. like I said, I'll put up a review once i've seen one. VMM, signing off!

Goodbye to Bloo - Reviewed

Originally Written 25 December 2016 Goodbye to Bloo Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends Cartoon Network 3 May 2009 As I said in an earlier post , I didn't get to see this ep when it premiered. I found out about it the next day. Not even 2 years later I finally got to see the episode. Yeah, the week of 3 May 2009 wasn't the best week for me (for personal reasons). To this day I have seen "Goodbye to Bloo" several times and here's what I think of it. They tried to make it where Mac would no longer be coming to Foster's when it was something else entirely. This was how they ended the series. Even if I had absolutely no idea this was the actual last episode, I can tell it's the final episode just by seeing how the story proceeds and ends. Toward the very end, upon closing the episode, the ending made my mind flash backwards through the entire series, remembering the great and not-so-great moments that made "Foster's" "Foster'

My Fair Smiling Mandy

Originally written 13 October 2016 My Fair Mandy Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy Cartoon Network 29 July 2005 Mandy is encouraged to enter a beauty pageant. In order to show her full beauty, she must do one thing one thing she doesn't usually do---smile. ---Vic's Review 13 October 2016 On this post , I said I might review this episode, so finally, here I go. This episode was full of that "you-know-what" Mindy and pageant moms using their daughters to live the dreams they wanted to have. I like how General Skarr was one of the judges. Toward the end, Mandy has her act singing her rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." She's no Judy Garland but the performance was really touching. Fans of "2001: A Space Odyssey" would understand the reference shortly after Mandy curved up her lips. The fact that Cartoon Network Fridays was hyping this at the time of the premiere and even making her smile again at all makes me want to bellow