Skip to main content

Camp Lazlo-From What I've Seen

Originally written 28 January 2017
As promised in the 2005 discussion of "My Fair Mandy." This is that "later article."

Camp Lazlo
Cartoon Network
8 July 2005-27 March 2008

If you have never seen "Camp Lazlo" before and I told you it was created by Joe Murray (also created "Rocko's Modern Life"), what might you think? One might think, "A Joe Murray show, oh boy! Watching this will have the same feel as a 'Rocko' episode." Hold on there! Let's think things through here. Very early in the series I asked my compadres on what they thought of Murray's latest work. Most said they were disappointed that this was nothing like "Rocko." To me, comparing "Rocko" and "Lazlo" is like comparing apples to oranges; they are from different networks (Nickelodeon vs Cartoon Network), different eras ('90s vs '00s), different settings ("modern life" vs camp life), as well as different feels (for lack of a better term) (the feel of a classic Nicktoon vs the feel of a post-Cartoon Cartoon era series). However, some of "Rocko"'s old crew worked on "Lazlo" (Mark O' Hare, Martin Olsen...) and Rocko and Lazlo were voiced by the same voice actor (Carlos Alazraqui). When watching, just don't pay attention to the credits, have an opened mind and see what you think.

Honestly, I have not seen every single episode but from the various episodes I have watched from various seasons, the quality stayed consistent throughout the 5 seasons, dropping slightly around seasons 4-5. If you're interested (and I know you are), there are more sexual innuendos in later seasons (the writers knew it was about time). One of my favorite episodes is from season 1, "Nothing Club." I liked how the characters used their imaginations to make an imaginary club seem like a club I want to join; imagination at best! I've watched Lazlo since day 1 but dropped off around season 2. I couldn't keep up. I'm most fond of the season 1 episodes. I had to re-watch various episodes to write this review.

Thoughts on music and humor

Often great original music, especially the country-sounding music. Sometimes stock music was used and some of that is good too. For humor, I smile, make some "tee-hee-hee-hee"'s when appropriate, and when really appropriate I bellow out some huge "Hahahaha!"'s when needed.

Recommended to...

For those who want to remember days when they went to summer camp and those who want to picture how summer camp would be like had they gone. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is. Just find yourself an episode, let loose, and relax. Enjoy an episode from any season. Enjoy the story, humor, and kooky characters. If you allow it, prepare to laugh your buns off 😆.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Danny Phantom fans, guess what!

I'm sorry for the lack of updates these past few days. My computer keeps acting up and i've been busy with stuff. Well, anyway, in the Butch Hartman forum, Butch says that Nickelodeon has renewed Danny Phantom for a 3rd season. Spread the word, everyone!!! And there are also new episodes coming this June. I can't wait. I hope they don't stink because i've been liking the show since it came out on April 3, 2004. If I like one, i'll review it when I get the chance. Let's now come back to the subject of updating. I'll probably do more post this summer if there's things to be discussed. I hope you all have a great summer and enjoy the new "Danny Phantom"s. like I said, I'll put up a review once i've seen one. VMM, signing off!

Goodbye to Bloo - Reviewed

Originally Written 25 December 2016 Goodbye to Bloo Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends Cartoon Network 3 May 2009 As I said in an earlier post , I didn't get to see this ep when it premiered. I found out about it the next day. Not even 2 years later I finally got to see the episode. Yeah, the week of 3 May 2009 wasn't the best week for me (for personal reasons). To this day I have seen "Goodbye to Bloo" several times and here's what I think of it. They tried to make it where Mac would no longer be coming to Foster's when it was something else entirely. This was how they ended the series. Even if I had absolutely no idea this was the actual last episode, I can tell it's the final episode just by seeing how the story proceeds and ends. Toward the very end, upon closing the episode, the ending made my mind flash backwards through the entire series, remembering the great and not-so-great moments that made "Foster's" "Foster'

My Fair Smiling Mandy

Originally written 13 October 2016 My Fair Mandy Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy Cartoon Network 29 July 2005 Mandy is encouraged to enter a beauty pageant. In order to show her full beauty, she must do one thing one thing she doesn't usually do---smile. ---Vic's Review 13 October 2016 On this post , I said I might review this episode, so finally, here I go. This episode was full of that "you-know-what" Mindy and pageant moms using their daughters to live the dreams they wanted to have. I like how General Skarr was one of the judges. Toward the end, Mandy has her act singing her rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." She's no Judy Garland but the performance was really touching. Fans of "2001: A Space Odyssey" would understand the reference shortly after Mandy curved up her lips. The fact that Cartoon Network Fridays was hyping this at the time of the premiere and even making her smile again at all makes me want to bellow